This is a place to contribute your favorite videos, links and techniques that would benefit the wider community.
Support our local seed providers:
Free Seed Saving Guide
Check out this free printable pdf seed saving booklet, from the Seed Ambassador’s – the original project of Sarah Kleeger and Andrew Still, who now run Adaptive Seeds in Oregon. This is an excellent booklet to make for handouts for seed-saving workshops.
Dry Legume & Grain Growing Guides
Local seed company Resilient Seeds has free one-page growing guides for 13 dry legume and grain crops, taking you step-by-step from planting through harvest, seed cleaning, and cooking.
Seed Planting Guide
Seed Saving Books
- The Seed Garden: The Art and Practice of Seed Saving, edited by Lee Buttala, et al. Seed Saver’s Exchange, 2015.
- Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners, by Suzanne Ashworth. Seed Savers Exchange, 2002.
- Seed Sowing and Seed Saving by Carole B. Turner, Published by Story
- The Organic Seed Grower: A Farmer’s Guide to Vegetable Seed Production by John Navazio. Published by Chelsea Green, 2012.
- Saving Seeds: A Home Gardener’s Guide to Preserving Plant Diversity by Dan Jason. Salt Spring Seeds, 2020
- The Whole Organic Food Book: Safe Healthy Harvest From Your Garden To Your Plate, by Dan Jason. Raincoast Books, 2001.
- The Resilient Gardener: Food Production And Self-Reliance In Uncertain Times. by Carol Deppe. Chelsea Green, 2010. (Carol’s other books “Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties” and “The Tao of Vegetable Gardening” are also excellent)
- Beautiful Corn: America’s Original Grain from Seed to Plate, by Anthony Boutard. New Society Publishers, 2012.
- Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn, and More, by Sara Pitzer. Storey Publishing, 2009.
Organizations and Projects
- Seed Ambassadors Oregon-based seed stewards with the principal goal to increase the diversity of locally adapted varieties & disseminate this resource to further local food system durability. Click the link to
- Seed Swappers online a new hub for swapping seeds. Receive credits for making your surplus seeds available to other gardeners, then spend those credits to get seeds from other gardeners in the network.
- FarmFolk CityFolk Research & Education Seed Farm. The Research & Education Seed Farm is a first-of-its-kind model that trains current and future seed growers and advances vegetable seed research while demonstrating the economic potential of seed production in BC.
- Finny Farm Seed Distro Last year we distributed over 7000 packages of seed in less than two weeks through our little self serve roadside stand and by offering a shipping option.
Krista shares some seed saving basics and fields a Q & A session.
Brian has restored and made modifications to equipment needed for the small to medium scale seed saving projects.
Peak Moment video featuring our newly refurbished clipper seed cleaner. Read more about the Clipper and the journey to restore it in Celt’s blog post.