Are you looking to get some seeds into your hands so you can get started and grow some of your own food? In lieu of our regular in-person Bellingham Seed Swap, in 2021 we are distributing seeds all around the county to those in need via various food banks, share spots, and events!
Volunteers with the Salish Seed Guild have worked tirelessly this winter to package up seeds to share with you! Many of the seeds have been donated by or bulk-purchased from Pacific Northwest seed companies (Uprising Seeds, Resilient Seeds, Adaptive Seeds, Irish Eyes Seeds, and West Coast Seeds). Local seed savers have also contributed to the effort, something we would love to see more of in the future!
If you feel inclined, we are looking for donations to support our new Community Seed Garden. This project will allow us to grow a majority of the seeds we distribute, so that we can share more locally-adapted seeds and enhance our local seed and food sovereignty while sharing hands-on seed-saving knowledge with the community! More local seeds, more local seed stewards, and more seeds to share!
CURRENT SEED SHARE LOCATIONS:
- Birchwood Food Dessert Fighters Share Spot – 3233 Northwest Ave (Industrial Credit Union Parking Lot) Bellingham, WA 98225; Every Saturday from 12-2pm
- Foothills Foodbank – 8255 Kendall Road; Maple Falls, WA; Tuesdays 9-11:30am
- Bellingham Farmers Market – 1100 Railroad AVE Bellingham, WA 98225; Saturday 10-3; March 20 & April 10
- Living Earth Herbs – 1411 Cornwall AVE; Bellingham, WA 98225; M-Sat 10-6; Sun 12-6
- Rome Store – 2908 Mt. Baker HWY; Bellingham, WA 98226; M-Sat 7am-9pm; 8am-9pm
- Inspiration Farm’s self serve Farm Stand, Also offers a Selection of Plants. 619 E Laurel RD; Bellingham, WA 98226
- Lummi Food Bank – 2830 Kwina Road; Fridays 12:30-3pm
- Nooksack Valley Food Bank – 204 N Washington St; Everson, WA; Thursdays 10am-1pm; 6:30-8pm
NEARBY SEED DISTRIBUTION/OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
Mount Vernon Public Library – Seed Library – For those in Skagit County, check out the new seed library in Mount Vernon! Fill out a seed request form, watch a 5 part video series on seed starting, and look forward to in person workshops in the future once it’s safe to gather!